Monday, September 28, 2009

Me llaman "Profesora Jimena"



We’ve been here for a month and so many emotions, feelings, thoughts, experiences have happened so far!

I have been partnered up with Isaac, a graduate in Philosophy and Anthropology from Mary Washington University, to teach catechism in two public schools locates in two different campos: Sabana Cruz and Hato Viejo. We teach three days a week, using a picture method where students look at an image and then are asked questions that pertain to it. For instance, the first picture is based on the painting of the Creation by Michael Angelo. We asked them “Who is in this picture?” “Who is God?”. Eventually we form a class out of those pictures to help them prepare for the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.


Ever since I was little, I dreamed of being a teacher. I would pretend I was a Language teacher, and I would prepare quizzes and tests for my little cousins which I would correct with my favorite red pen! Now, we can say that my dream has come true. A voice inside of me reminds me of the popular phrase:“Be careful what you wish for”. Being a teacher is a beautiful job, but I think being a catechist is even more beautiful. A catechist is able to not only share his or her knowledge about Catholicism, but also demonstrate her love for Christ and His teachings. Additionally, the challenges it brings along can make you a better person, as well as deepen your faith.


In Sabana Cruz, Isaac and I have two classes: one has about ten kids and the other one has fifteen. Our ten-student class is composed of younger kids (8-10 years old), who are just adorable. They all sit next to each other, forming a row right across from the board. Their eyes are often fixed upon their teacher (Isaac or myself), reflecting their eagerness to learn something new. The only problem we had with that class involved two kids, Francis and Suleidy, who would not care about the class at all. Since they were not disruptive to the rest of the class, we decided to leave them at their own mercy. To our advantage, Suleidy told us last week that Francis has left to the capital for good. What a relief!!! Now that she doesn’t have her partner in crime, she cooperates and participates with the rest of the kids.


Our fifteen-student class is a bit more challenging; specifically, emotionally and physically draining. About half of the class is Evangelical, meaning that they don’t agree with Catholic teachings, even though both religions belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Given that the Dominican Republic is primarily Catholic, we are able to teach in the public schools. Unfortunately for the Evangelical students, they have to sit through a class that they find disturbing and opposing to their teachings. During our first week, they managed unite against us. They would constantly alter everything we would to try to imply that the Catholic faith is a fraud. For instance, they would claim that the images we use to teach about God, Adam and Eve and such were objects of praise. Even though at times I would feel really angry at their wrongful and misinformed accusations, I would try to swallow my feelings and clarify to them—in a charitable way—some of the misconceptions. For instance, the images we use in the classroom are for teaching purposes, just as their books have images in them. Furthermore, Catholics don’t praise images! The only one we praise is God the father, son and Holy Spirit. During prayer, they refused to make the sign of the cross because they claimed the cross is damned, as well as the Our Father—a prayer interestingly taught by Jesus. I put up with them because living in the States has taught me to respect other people’s religions and beliefs. However, it got to a point where the kids disrespected Isaac and me disregarding our instructions and leaving the classroom without our permission. I got so frustrated I told the few kids left in the classroom that I wouldn’t put up with their misbehavior anymore, that I found it extremely disrespectful to us as their teachers—who travelled so far and sacrificed so much to be there and teach them—and if they did not care about us, we were not going to care about them. I added that I felt sad that those who needed to receive their sacraments would have to wait another year because I wasn’t going to go back. What a disappointment! One of the older Evangelical kid rushed towards us and asked us not to leave. Isaac and I were packing our stuff, but he took it away from us and placed them back where they were. He said he would go find the rest and ask them to come back. While he did that, I called the vice principal (because the principal is never in the school, since he’s running to be elected as mayor). She came in and all the kids rushed to their seats. I said I couldn’t deal with them anymore and that Isaac and I were going to leave. She seemed surprised but embarrassed, so she went in the classroom and had a talk with the students. She asked them to say sorry and to promise not to misbehave anymore. The kids did not seem to care for her nor me, so she told us we could leave and that she would talk to them and their parents. After that incident, there was tension between us and the students during the next class. I spoke with the Catholic kids, and I told them I was there to teach them about Catholicism and help them receive their sacraments. If they were not going to cooperate with me, then there was no point on me teaching their class. This wasn’t about religion anymore; it was about respect. They seemed sad and sorry for what they did. One of the girls, Marisol, told me she wanted to cry because she thought what they did to me was unfair. I almost cry with her too. At the end, they agree to behave well during class. Father O’Hare suggested that we remove the Catholic kids from that class and put them together with the younger kids in the smaller class. The vice principal assured me that it wouldn’t be necessary because the other kids promised to behave well in class. With my mom’s suggestion, the following week I told the vice principal I needed to make an announcement in the class and I would appreciated if she were present. She came in and I said something along the lines of…


“We all know that in this class there are disagreements about what Isaac and I teach. I respect those who belong to a different religious group; but I am not going to neglect those who are Catholic from receiving their sacraments. I’m going to ask those of you who do not agree with our teachings to come to class prepared to listen. I do not expect you to participate in the class; however, you are forced to be here by your school’s regulations. I do not want any disruptions or demonstrations of disrespect towards us. I invite you to write any questions you may have about our teachings, for we would be happy to answer any questions you may have after class. We are no longer going to spend class time discussing why our religion is different from yours. Thank you for your attention”


The vice principal seemed to agree with my announcement and new class rule. She added that even though she is Catholic, she respects those who aren’t. She asked the Evangelical kids to show respect towards us and listen without disrupting the class. After she left, we began our lesson. I started asking the kids some questions. The Catholic kids were quiet, but the Evangelical kids wanted to participate. I ignored the Evangelical kids in order to go by what I had just announced. Eventually the Catholic kids began to participate and we had a successful class. By the end of class, the leader Evangelical kid named Jorge went up to me and said: Why didn’t you call on me when I raised my hand? I said, “didn’t you hear what I announced? You are in this class because the school wants you to be; however, this class is for Catholic kids only in preparation to receive their sacraments. I’m sorry it has to be that way, but your lack of respect towards me as a teacher has forced me to act that way”. He said he wasn’t gonna come to class during our teaching, and I said, “well, you’re gonna have to talk to your vice principal about that because she expects you to be here” he stayed quiet. I said, “I think it’s easier for you to come to class, listen to our teachings and ask questions afterwards”. Our conversation ended with him shrugging and leaving the classroom.


The following week, we went back to the school and pulled the Catholic kids out of their classroom and put them together with the smaller kids. Jorge came with a sorry face and said “Profe, (a short way of saying teacher) are you not going to teach us today?” I said, “Sorry Jorge, we were supposed to have class tomorrow, but since it’s a holiday, I’m teaching the Catholic kids today”. He looked sad. I asked, “Do you wanna be in the class?” He nodded. I was like, “OK, if you truly want to be here with the rest of your classmates, you’re certainly welcomed to. I only ask two conditions: do not disrupt my classroom with arguments about our teachings, and show respect towards Isaac and me. Is that clear?” He said yes. His friend behind him started giggling. I snapped “I’m not joking! If you want to be in the class, you have to be quiet.” They both nodded and went in the class. That day class went smoothly. I allowed the Evangelical kids to participate, and their answers were mostly correct with our teachings. Isaac and I were very pleased with their behavior. By the end of the day, I praised God for listening to my prayers and helping me reach the Evangelical kids to His will.


Sabana Cruz is a challenge, but I think God has placed us there to test our patience and help us strengthen our teaching skills. He is good!


Hato Viejo, to the contrary, is EXCELLENT! Our younger class (4th-5th grade) has about 30 students and the second class (6th-7th grade) has about 10. They all listen and actively participate. They show interest in the class, as well as faithfulness to God by attending Mass every Sunday. I absolutely love them! Every Wednesday after class, I tell Isaac if all kids behaved like Hato Viejo kids I would study to be a teacher in a heartbeat!!!

Please keep us in your prayers!!! More updates coming soon!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't think it would be so VERY challenging, especially in Sabana Cruz where they seemed to be most intrested. Even I wouldn't argue with you so much(well, maybe). It's good that the "evangelical" problem got finally resolved. WONDERFUL job, you're doing something GREAT. I'm full of admiration. I will certainly keep you in my prayers, and I'll visit this blog even despite its blindingly pink layout:). By the way, my spanish is rotting down, because sadly we don't have too many Latinos(not to mention Peruanos) in Poland.


    Anyway, stay strong in Christ!

    Z Bogiem,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete